Thursday 12 December 2013

Linguine Carbonara Without Cream

For some reason, every time I come back on holiday, my dad will ask me to make this dish. Probably because he thinks it's good.
And don't worry, it's easy. Sort of. Let's just say I spent more than an hour trying to cook this the first time I tried it out and it was the first time I cooked an entire meal by myself. Thankfully, it turned out beautiful.
This recipe has been tried and true so I'm pretty sure it'll work, even if you don't have much cooking experience.
The ingredients. Yeah I cheated. I didn't make my own pasta.
Linguine Carbonara Without Cream Recipe (Serves 4) 
You'll need:
~400g pasta of your choice, try to avoid using angel hair and definitely avoid shaped pasta or short cut pasta
~1.5 eggs, depending on how saucy you want it to be and how much noodles you've used
1 cup parmesan cheese, grated. Add more if you like it more cheesy, but remember, it's salty. And yes, I was just making do with whatever I had in the fridge - pizza cheese.
2 purple onions, sliced
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
4 strips of bacon, 1 cm strips
1 1/2 tbsp parsley, chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
Directions:
1. Place the bacon in a pan over low heat, and cook them until all the fat is released.
2. Bring to boil a pot of water, about half-full, and season it with salt. You can add in olive oil at this stage, but I've heard that its not necessary. Once the water is boiling, add in the pasta noodles of your choice. Cook until al dente and strain. Save up about a bowl of the pasta stock for later. Remember: do not run your pasta under cold water. Drizzle some olive oil over the pasta and stir to prevent the noodles from sticking.
3. In a bowl, beat the eggs and half a cup of parmesan cheese until well-combined. Set aside.
4. Remove the cooked bacon from the pan and and some olive oil to the pan and cook the sliced onions on low heat until tender. Add in the chopped garlic about now and continue cooking under low heat until you smell the fragrance of the chopped garlic.
5. Now, add in the pasta noodles and the cooked bacon to the pan with the onions and garlic and combine well.
6. Kill the heat and pour the egg and cheese mixture. Stir to combine.
7. Garnish with the remaining parmesan cheese and some chopped parsley. Serve immediately.

No comments :

Post a Comment